Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Timber deck between house and pool

I am replacing a concrete pool surround with a timber deck placed between the house and concrete pool finishing flush with the pool coping.
    Is it acceptable to fix a ledger board at the house and pool sides with ground screws supporting mid bearers through centre or should the pool side of the deck be freestanding and supported also with ground screws to allow independent movement.
    Pool has been in for 10 years so I would assume any movement would be very minimal.
    I thought I could "slot" the fixing points of the joist hanger at the pool to allow "sliding room" within the joist hanger.
    Appreciate any comments.

Timber expansion is mainly across the grain,with only minimal movement in the length. The main problem with a ledger on the pool coping would be the possibility of hitting reo steel with drill holes and starting a rust problem from salt/chlorine.

I'm trying to repair a similar deck at the moment. The pool is around 35 years old and it has a ledger board dynabolted to the pool wall, but the joists sit on the ledger not fixed in stirrups to the ledger. This has allowed lateral movement without compromising the wall.

HOWEVER. Over the years the pool has overflowed many times and many of the dynabolts are now cactus from rust and corrosion as well as the skew nails holding the joists down. Interesting the timbers are all still pretty sound, I think they are probably ironbark.

There is a decking thread over in the renovate forums where you can find links to various building standards. DECKING I'm not a builder, but slotting the ledger board doesn't immediately strike me as sound construction technique.

Is your existing concrete pool surround failing? Why replace it with timber if it is still good? Concrete is pretty much a no cost maintenance option compared to a timber deck which will require at least annual maintenance.

Default Nrb

Yes stay away from fixing to pool wall,if the concrete is stable fix a bearer onto that with Gal stirrups,if not put stumps into ground and go from there.
    Another issue to think about is not to have the final height of deck level with pool coping as any junk will wash into pool.
    good luck

Thanks Guys for the input. Still in design stage at moment so plenty of thinking left to do.