Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Question 40s/50s Wood Stain matching advice

Hi All, I have been in the process of stripping back the door casing/frame, picture railings and skirting boards of our house that was built in the late forties - early fifties (was previously coated in white enamel). The doors are hollowcore and have what I suspect was the original colour of the house’s woodwork. I have tried to match various combinations, strengths, and coat applications of an embarrassingly large number of Feast Watson and Cabots stain as well as amber shellac and tinted shellac, but they are too dark, orange, shiny, purple or red. I read in an earlier post that wood dyes might be a good option and Raw sienna, Burnt Sienna, Burnt Umber, Brown Umber, Bismark Brown or van dyke all look like fair candidates to me the rank amateur. Would any of you be so kind as to offer advice, experience, or suggestions for possible colours?

Quote Originally Posted by Christie M View Post
    I have tried to match various combinations, strengths, and coat applications of an embarrassingly large number of Feast Watson and Cabots stain
    I will assume that the combinations tried are a stain and finish all in one.Back in that era most timber like shown was stained with a spirit based stain and then an oil based clear finish applied, the oil based clear did yellow over time making a perfect match hard to achieve.I would look at the Prooftint range of stains.https://www.feastwatson.com.au/produ...ng/prooftintIt is very hard to colour match from a photo but Maple was a common colour used so may be worth looking at.

Hi Droog, Thank you kindly for your response. I have tried the following with no success Cabots - Jarrah, Australian Jarrah, Feast Watson Prooftint - Jarrah, Teak Brown, Cedar, Mahogany, Maple, Oak, Golden Teak, Walnut and Amber Shellac - Coating from 1 – 5, Tinting with FW Jarrah, Tinting FW Walnut, Layering over differing strengths of FW Jarrah. I hadn't considered the yellowing so that's a bother, but I guess that's part of the warm glow they develop and they have a wonderful golden iridescence to them in the sun, apologies it's hard to photograph them as they change colour depending on the light. I'll have another look at the Maple Thanking you again