Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Maytag dryer with blown thermal fuse, whys it blownt he thermal one??

maytag 9kg dryer been running for years no problem and blew the thermal fuse a week ago, i replaced that with the hi limit thermostat a week ago as well and worked fine for a week and now its blown the thermal fuse again.
    anyone know the reason for this?? new thermostat, shouldnt be overheating.
    Attached Images Attached Images

If you are suitably experienced in electrical work then check for any short on the heating element or wiring to the element, or something that may fall into the element when the drum is turning.

Quote Originally Posted by droog View Post
    If you are suitably experienced in electrical work then check for any short on the heating element or wiring to the element, or something that may fall into the element when the drum is turning.
    had it apart and that part looks ok, resistance measures like a heater element would, dont know specs, and it looks ok. just weird it worked for a week then went again.

Quote Originally Posted by wozzzzza View Post
    had it apart and that part looks ok, resistance measures like a heater element would, dont know specs, and it looks ok. just weird it worked for a week then went again.

I am suggesting that the element or one of the cables to it are shorting out, nothing related to the resistance of the element itself.
    A multi-meter is also probably useless for this measurement and most likely would require a megger to check properly from an electrical perspective.

A visual may give an idea, although if it happened to be a bobby pin or something else in the drum with a load of washing then it could well be gone now.

Quote Originally Posted by droog View Post
    I am suggesting that the element or one of the cables to it are shorting out, nothing related to the resistance of the element itself.
    A multi-meter is also probably useless for this measurement and most likely would require a megger to check properly from an electrical perspective.

A visual may give an idea, although if it happened to be a bobby pin or something else in the drum with a load of washing then it could well be gone now.
    i will pull apart tomorrow and inspect more this time.

Maybe it has a blockage in the air path and causing it to overheat? Maybe the thermostat is stuck on.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
    Maybe it has a blockage in the air path and causing it to overheat? Maybe the thermostat is stuck on.
    gave it good clean out a week ago.
    thermostat is new so that has me questioning things. i will pull out and test tomorrow.

went a bit further with the pull down today, going further with the clean, so far pulled out as much fluff as i did last week from it. possibly the lack of airflow maybe causing the element to overheat blowing the fuse as i cleared a lot of fluff from that inlet duct after the heater that was getting caught in the gauze to the drum.
    hopefully that is it.

referring to that diagram above, that 155 degree cycling thermostat, how does that work? im trying to work that one out.. whats the coil part of it? why 4 wires on a thermostat?

testing everything today, cleaning it, its a brand new machine now. i found door switch is faulty, new one on order, also looking at the flow of air, if door comes open during operation the airflow stops going over the heater element, this could possibly blow that thermal fuse as well i guess. i opened up the door while running and noticed the element getting hotter and hotter until i closed the door where it cooled down again. but you would think the thermostat next to the thermal fuse would stop the element but didn't, it was new as well.