Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Recommendations to seal a leaking window frame

The window frame is timber. It’s on the lower level of a two-story block of units, with a concrete ceiling/floor separating the two. I think people call this a popcorn effect. When it rains heavily water seeps in between the lintel and the upper surface of the window frame, as arrowed. It seems to have been happening for a while. (The flat section in the first pic is the underside of a curtain pelmet.)

It may not be possible to seal from the outside as there’s a decorative slate arrangement on the outside.

The window needs to be replaced, but I just want to keep the rain out until that can be done. I was thinking of gouging out the gap between the top of the window frame and the lintel (on the inside) and putting a line of silicon all the way along there.

I seem to recall there are some types of silicon that can cope with wet conditions when being applied. Are they any good? I suspect this area will be wet until summer comes back. What would you do as a temporary fix?

Leaking Window.JPGLeaking Window2.JPG

You really to find a solution that stops the water from the outside. Anything else is temporary at best, futile at worst

Install a flashing up under the surface where the water is entering.

Silicon is not a solution to seal an entry point.

No idea where the water is entering. It could be leaking anywhere near all the slate-like material. It's a bit of a mess and I don't like the appearance of it. Apparently, the upstairs window leaks too. They don't know where the water is coming from either. There was a notion that it could be a roof problem; possibly getting into the cavity. (No one has investigated. So, that could be rubbish.) It's complicated by the fact that the deck (for the unit above) is to be removed and rebuilt. When that happens all the slate may well come off. That may be the time to replace the window. But that won't be for a while and I have water coming in now. That's why I'm thinking that a temporary fix is good enough.

I’m hoping to make an attempt at addressing this problem later this week. A quick fix, that is. The new replacement window will hopefully stop the leak. But until that happens I was intending to use some silicone.

As noted, it may be next to impossible to seal this from the outside, despite it being the better solution. I was planning on trying to push some sealant between the window frame and the wall from the inside of the room.

Selleys advertises the following. Has anyone used either of them? Or is there something better you know of?

650 FC Fast Cure Adhesive Sealant

It makes reference to being suitable for damp areas.

https://www.selleys.com.au/products/...esive-sealant/

Storm Sealant

This one can be applied in the rain, according to the write up.
    https://www.selleys.com.au/products/...storm-sealant/

Quote Originally Posted by ErrolFlynn View Post
    Selleys advertises the following. Has anyone used either of them? Or is there something better you know of?

650 FC Fast Cure Adhesive Sealant

It makes reference to being suitable for damp areas.

https://www.selleys.com.au/products/...esive-sealant/

Storm Sealant

This one can be applied in the rain, according to the write up.
    https://www.selleys.com.au/products/...storm-sealant/
    I've used Selley's All Clear on wet surfaces and it held well. Long time ago, and maybe before those other products existed (not sure)

Thanks for that. The notes on the Selley's website suggest that with All Clear porous surfaces must be dry. With the recent weather and what's forecast in coming days I suspect I'll be squeezing it into a wet place.

Yeah, one those you linked look better. 650 states flexibility, but 20% of "not much gap" is almost no flexibility. Think I'd go with the Storm one

Quote Originally Posted by r3nov8or View Post
    I'd go with the Storm one
    I'm inclined to agree.

Curiously, I had emailed the Selley's helpline. They suggested 650 FC Fast Cure. It was only after reading the write-up on that one that I spotted a link to their Storm product. It seemed ideal to me. I'm perplexed as to why the guy didn't suggest Storm in the first place.

[PS. I'm having doubts about these info lines that you find on product web pages. As it happens I'm in the market for a new phone. I emailed the company that makes the phone to ask some specific questions. I got rubbish responses to my questions. It was only when I badgered and kept repeating myself that I was put onto a supervisor. The supervisor took more interest and answered my questions fully.]

Quote Originally Posted by ErrolFlynn View Post
    No idea where the water is entering. It could be leaking anywhere near all the slate-like material. It's a bit of a mess and I don't like the appearance of it. Apparently, the upstairs window leaks too. They don't know where the water is coming from either. There was a notion that it could be a roof problem; possibly getting into the cavity. (No one has investigated. So, that could be rubbish.) It's complicated by the fact that the deck (for the unit above) is to be removed and rebuilt. When that happens all the slate may well come off. That may be the time to replace the window. But that won't be for a while and I have water coming in now. That's why I'm thinking that a temporary fix is good enough.
    The water is coming from above so you start there.
    Sealing around the window will just send the water in a different direction and maybe cause damage.

Quote Originally Posted by rambunctious View Post
    The water is coming from above so you start there.
    Sealing around the window will just send the water in a different direction and maybe cause damage.
    Yes, that was the early advice and remains accurate...

Some photos from above the outside cladding may help us see what's going on...

Quote Originally Posted by r3nov8or View Post
    Yes, that was the early advice and remains accurate...
    Really !!! Had I have seen that advice I would not have posted but I still cannot see it so maybe it was removed.

Quote Originally Posted by rambunctious View Post
    Really !!! Had I have seen that advice I would not have posted but I still cannot see it so maybe it was removed.
    #2 & #3 ?

Okay, you win. Of course, you win. Repairing the outside is the best thing to do.

The photo shows a lot of slate above the window. I’ll push some sealer into all the joints. That’s a strip of timber above the slate and below the window above. Some sealant can go there too. The thing that’s at the back of my mind is that the leak might be coming from none of those places. The water might be travelling. The source could in fact be a roof problem. That’ll be a job for someone else.

OK didn't notice 2 but 3 would probably be waste of time.
    Are there patios above where you are referring to slate, if so, then that is where you start.
    Good luck.