Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Fence repair - your opinion on 2 methods

I have a 9-year old dividing fence in Victoria. The posts are loose and seem to have rotted at ground level! The palings and rails are fine.

The neighbour wants to repair not replace. I’ve received 2 quotes from fencers using 2 different methods - see below. What do you think?:

Quote 1. Add short ‘dummy’ cypress posts next to each rotted post (will reach just under cnetre rail height) - concrete it in and screw it to the old post, which will bring the fence into line.

Quote 2. Add full height steel posts halfway between each old post, concrete them in and screw to the railing, which will bring the fence into line.

It might be difficult to place new posts next to the old ones as there will already be concrete securing the old posts. Whilst positioning new posts midway would avoid that issue it will remain difficult to dig the holes so close to the fence. It will have to be done using a crowbar, shovel, and perhaps several broken fingernails, but it gets my vote. Though, in doing that you will likely find rails joined on the old posts, which may need to be secured. A length of steel and a few bolts might do the trick.

Very unlikely the existing posts are concreted in so for repair I would lean toward option 1.

However, before going a repair option I would carefully examine each rail at the post housings this is an area that rot starts. Second I would carefully check the fastenings of the rails to post and palings to rail as they are often not HDG and will most likely be E-galv at best, if any of the materials are treated pine the nails will almost be guaranteed to be well rusted.

I had this problem, and used a combo which has lasted years and doesn't look like giving up anytime soon

As mentioned above, there was very little concrete to contend with.

Every other post, add a gal SHS half post 600 into the ground, up to the centre rail, strap the gal post to the timber post.

Every other post, add a star picket and strap it to the timber post

Quote Originally Posted by droog View Post
    Very unlikely the existing posts are concreted in so for repair I would lean toward option 1.

However, before going a repair option I would carefully examine each rail at the post housings this is an area that rot starts. Second I would carefully check the fastenings of the rails to post and palings to rail as they are often not HDG and will most likely be E-galv at best, if any of the materials are treated pine the nails will almost be guaranteed to be well rusted.
    Thank you.
    The existing posts were concreted in - at least I paid the previous fencer for this when the fence was built approx 9 years ago - and the fence seemed stable until 18 months ago. I think that at least some of the existing posts have rotted at ground level, even though it’s free-draining samdy soil.

As noted above, there may be other problems with the fence. Despite it looking sound, except for the posts as you’ve said.

Another option: take the fence to the tip and build a new one. Build it with your neighbour. Make it a combined effort. Get the whole family out working and spend a few weekends on it. It’ll save a few dollars too and if you’ve never done it before there’s always help here.

I did a fence in Bris mid 90,s and used 50mm GWI pipe with 25x25 hot dipped gal rails with the battens screwed with hex self drilling screws.
    Still there 30+ years later.

plenty of other ways to get a cheap-o repair. pretty sure it just bashes its self between the concrete and the wood.

https://www.bunnings.com.au/simpson-...ender_p0078506
    https://strongtie.com.au/products/e-...repair-bracket